Sunday 26 December 2010

My defining moments

I started my revision today for psychology and I came across the humanistic approach and more specifically the 'concept of self.' According to Rogers we have 3 concepts: the self concept- the way a person sees themselves, the ideal concept- the person whom we would like to be, and the real self- the person who we actually are.
     It got me thinking about how we see ourselves, a lot of people put themselves down repeatedly and only see the bad stuff. Many people are so far up themselves they can't see the truth, and unfortunately many people can never actually see themselves for themselves. I probably am slightly arrogant, obnoxious, ignorant as well maybe but I know that and I try not to be. I am well aware of my actual self, probably more of an average teenager than i'd like to admit, my ideal self on the other hand; well in many ways I am getting to be the man I want to be.
    But and this is a very BIG but. We can say whatever we like about who we are and who we want to be, talking makes no difference. You need to prove it, when the time comes and the opportunity to show everyone who you want to be, your ideal self, you have to take it, make it a defining moment.
stay tuned

No comments: